Before breaking ground on any new building project, it’s important that the appropriate planning permission is secured, if it’s needed. But for first-timers, this can be quite a daunting task. High & Dry Renovations are on hand to impart informative advice to help you better understand the ins and outs of securing planning permission.


What is Planning Permission?

Constructing a new dwelling or making significant changes to existing buildings will require planning permission. Decisions to grant planning permission are made by following the National Planning Policy Framework and planning policies that are set out by your local authority.


What Do I Need Planning Permission For?

If the project involves constructing a new dwelling, either a brand new building or a subdividing one to an existing home, then planning permission is usually needed. Large outbuildings, extensions or improvements that need to be made in Designated Areas or to listed buildings will require planning permission. Small improvements and additions can usually be made under Permitted Development.


What is Permitted Development?

This allows for small or minor improvements to be made, such as loft conversions or modest home extensions. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland each have their own rules regarding this.


What Type of Planning Permission Do I Need?


Full Planning Permission

This grants permission for more detailed projects. Before commencing work, the planning conditions must be discharged formally, by letter, by your local authority. If work is carried out before this happens, the approval then becomes invalidated.


Outline Planning Permission

In principle, this grants permission, however, it doesn’t include design specifics. It should be noted that outline planning consent doesn’t give permission to start work. For this to happen, an application for ‘reserved matters’ will have to be submitted and approved before any work can take place.


Additional Information

If any detailed plans deviate considerably from the original outline planning, you’ll need to submit a form for full planning permission. If you’d like to carry out the work in a timely manner, or as quickly as possible, you’d be better applying for full planning permission.


What Does a Planning Application Have to Include?

Generally, it should include:

  • The correct fee
  • A Design and Access Statement
  • A site plan, block plan and elevations of both existing and proposed sites
  • A signed ownership certificate
  • Five copies of application form


How Much Does it Cost to Submit a Planning Application?

The cost for a full application for a brand new single dwelling in England is £462 (correct at the time of writing), although this fee will differ in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. An application for an extension currently costs £206 in England (correct at the time of writing), again, differing in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

All local planning departments use the same application form – 1APP. You can use the Planning Portal to find the appropriate form for your area, then simply complete the application process online. It’s important to note that further charges will apply for the discharge of planning conditions, which must be met before any developments can begin.


Here at High and Dry Renovations, we’ve been leading the way in home renovations for over 30 years. Our highly skilled team of experts are dedicated to carrying out work to the highest possible standards, whether it be a loft conversion, garage conversion or house extension. If you’re looking to make improvements to your home, get in touch with us today to arrange a free home visit and written quotation. We operate throughout Scunthorpe, Grimsby and the surrounding area.